4 Dec 2013

Set up for Communication


Set up for Communication in your event Photography 

Every event has its specifics. Obviously, events should all be treated differently by the Photographer/Videographer. Nothing very shocking to hear so far in this blog for you already know this basic. However, every event shoots have a common denominator : they must all be treated with a communications point of view. You must have the perspective of the communicator. In other words : you have to put yourself in the perspective of both your client and his clients. What would a would-be consumer want to feel when looking at your event images ? Glamour ? quietness ? sultriness ? movement ? stillness ? speed ? euphoria ? contemplation ? This needs to be determined before you get to the event and then readjust your strategy according to the event's ambiance.



Needless to say your camera settings and gear will change accordingly as well. Color, subjects, perspective, lens selection, flash gun or not, even your presence and work ethics during the event will determine success or failure. Remember, if the event fails, so will you.


In this show - http://www.quartierhochelaga.com/ardoises-gabarits-et-corps-presente-a-la-zone-molinari/ - I knew what style I wanted for our public, but I didn't know how I was going to set up my gear until I got to the event itself. It was clear from the get go that I wasn't going to flash the speed light all evening as the ambiance was one of contemplation for the art pieces being presented and because the two artists needed there bubble to remain intact during the crucial PR they needed to perform with the crowd. So, I set up my speed light gun but I used it only for the one portrait I thought was necessary. Otherwise, all I emphasized on was showcasing the work in a subtle way, sampling the ambiance and displaying the space. All this in one purpose, and one purpose only : give the readers of QH the taste for seeing more. I thought the text for the article however should go deeper into the subject for the very same communications objective. So I needed to get my information straight and my writing too.



We are quickly improving on our event coverage skills and quickly becoming experts at it. The next event will be a challenge nonetheless. Never take things for granted should be the number one rule for success in Photojournalism.

Tout droits réservés - All rights reserved : Éric Soucy- FOTOISO3200/2013

No comments:

Post a Comment