25 May 2014

The Quartier Latin ; a few domes & hills


The Quartier Latin, being our new headquarters, has naturally become one of our premier street and architecture photography subject. In just about one year we have accumulated quite the collection of Montreal's first bourgeois establishment district. Still to this day, the Quartier Latin displays stunning sites and houses


The Square Saint-Louis

As far as capturing the streets, the houses and the scenes, we have resorted to a street photography approach in the past few weeks using only a nifty second body camera and fixed focal 50mm lens set up as gear.

Eric : 'I have gone back to basics in my street photography, no wide angles, no powerful camera, just a quality basic set up. This forces me to rework my perspective and my framing and alleviates much anxiety and fear of damaging my work camera. Being comfortable enables me to contemplate and appreciate street photography again'


Eric : 'Victorian houses with their mansard roofs and ornamented bay windows will never cease to amaze me'



The Quartier Latin is eclectic in its demography ; residents are as divers as the city itself. Québécois baby-boomers who have stayed around, new younger french & english speaking professionals ; foreigners newly integrated as Montrealers on a temporary or permanent stay ; students ; tourists who stay in the little inns all around the quarter, and illegitimate incognitos hiding in cheap sleazy motels of Saint-Hubert street beneath Ontario street or on Clark street all mingle as one to form the disparate urban fauna bathed in a high density business activity from main streets like Saint-Denis, Sainte-Catherine & Sherbrooke



Eric : 'Saint-Norbert street is one of my all time favorite places. I have been coming to this street to walk it for as long as I remember. Now I walk it almost every day with the same guilty pleasure.



The Arthur Dubuc house

Text & Photos : Éric Soucy
Tous droits réservés - all rights reserved : FOTOISO3200/2014


No comments:

Post a Comment